Who make the best mentors?
Have you ever said the following, “I would love to spend a day trailing the life of so and
so. He is so successful and I’m sure that I could learn a lot from their life. “
Is that really the case? Are the people in the spotlight the ones best suited to serve as our teacher or mentor?
While I am not the author of this quote I firmly agree that,
“The people who really make a difference in our lives are not the richest, most successful or famous.”
If these are not the ones who most impact us then who are they?
Take a little quiz to see if together we can figure this out…
1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world
2. Name the last five winners of the Miss America Contest
3. Name the last dozen Academy Award winners for Best Actor or Actress
4. Name the last decade’s worth of World Series Winners
5. Name the head coach for the last five Superbowl teams.
How did you do?
If you are like me, you failed miserably.
Please exercise a little more patience because I think we can find an answer to the initial question. Check out this second quiz, there is insight to be gained in the quest
1. Name 2 teachers who encouraged or helped you during Grammar or High School.
2. Name a friend who helped you through a difficult time in your life.
3. Think of up to 5 people with whom you enjoy spending time.
4. List the name of someone who listened to you during a critical time of your life.
As you thought about the answer to these questions did any emotions sneak up on
you? I wonder why that is?
“Because the people who really make a difference in our lives are not the
rich and famous, they are the ordinary people who cared about us.”
Might I suggest that you take some this week to write or call any of those people whose
names did come to mind on the 2nd quiz?
And also, you should ask yourself, would my name appear on the mind and heart of a
few people who answered this same quiz?
What am I doing to truly leave an impact on the people around me?
This quiz and ideas were originally excerpts from the book Wake-up Calls by Joan Lunden.
- Wake Up Calls: Making the Most Out of Every Day (Regardless of What Life Throws You) — ISBN 0-07-136126-X
Did you enjoy this post?
Subscribe and be the first to receive blog posts and ministry news, PLUS receive 5 FREE introductory videos for Life Purpose Academy!